After reading this article, you will understand reasons for using Youreka's barcode scanning feature, as well as how to set it up in your Salesforce environment.
Before you get started
These articles might be helpful before you read further:
Use barcode scanning to quickly capture information on the Youreka Mobile App. Youreka's barcode scanner can capture simple character strings into text fields, or populate lookups. This can be useful if your mobile users are capturing data about barcoded products or assets from the field. They can scan the codes, and immediately have Form data associated with those records in Salesforce.
Setting up Barcode Scanning
If you intend to enable barcode scanning for your mobile users, use the following steps.
- Visit the Form Template builder for a specific template in Salesforce.
- Add a text, currency, email, field link, long text, number, percent, phone or URL question to the template and check Allow Barcode Scanning.
- After publishing the form template, users will be able to use their mobile device's camera application to scan barcodes and populate this question while filling out the form.
If you intend to capture a simple character string with the barcode scanner, it will be stored in the Answer object after scanning the barcode.
Setting up Barcode Scanning to Populate Lookups
If you intend to have the Barcode Scanner populate a lookup, use the following steps:
- Add a field link question to your form template.
- Select your desired field link object, and a lookup field on that object.
- Check the Allow Barcode Scanning Lookup.
- Select the Barcode External ID Field that the barcode scanner will use to populate the lookup. This must be a unique external ID text field on the lookup object. This field will need to be populated with the numbers on your barcodes. It is the field that the Youreka Mobile App uses to evaluate which record should be populated after the barcode is scanned.
An example can be seen below as to how to setup a field for housing barcode values.
Considerations for using the barcode scanner
The following table demonstrates which types of barcodes are supported on Youreka Mobile.
Please sign in to leave a comment.