Guide to Youreka's New Mobile App
In 2016, Youreka launched our first mobile app which now serves thousands of users worldwide. We decided it is time for a refresh!
We are extremely excited to be launching Youreka’s New Mobile App. Over multiple releases, our team has reimagined and rebuilt the App with a better foundation that leverages leading mobile technology and plugins.
You might be wondering why we’ve spent months rebuilding a great app that thousands of field workers have used daily for years. Continuously, Youreka researches and applies the most current innovative technology, which is necessary given the light speed that mobile tech improves and adjusts. We are committed to keeping you and your teams ahead of the mobile tech curve. The new app will future-proof us for years to come and it will allow us to deliver what you—our customers—need quicker.
Benefits and New Features
Rebuilding the app from the ground up allows us to deliver on the following and so much more:
- Faster loading times, for a more responsive and improved user experience
- Higher security standards leveraging the latest mobile plugins and technology
- Faster rollout of new features utilizing this new framework
Our goal is to deliver what customers need quicker and better than before. Helping field workers complete work quicker and accurately, while ensuring end user satisfaction.
Performance & Sync Improvements
- Up to 25% faster than before when prepping for offline
- Targeted Sync - the app only downloads what you need
- Faster pre-population of fields from Salesforce
- New Data Management Screen, featuring progress bar
These Improvements will improve the end user experience by
- Helping users understand what data is syncing, and approximately how much longer until completion
- Getting mobile workers ready for their jobs quicker and avoiding having customers wait while data syncs
- Pre population of fields from Salesforce into the app faster, by only downloading what’s needed
- Increasing worker productivity through faster synchronization
- Syncing larger forms and more data in less time than ever before
The new mobile app supports users around the world by providing multi-language support. Youreka will provide translations for English, Spanish, French, and German speaking users out of the box. Languages supported by Salesforce are also allowed for all labels on mobile. The language that will display for a user is the same as their default language in Salesforce, so different team members will be able to view the same pages in different languages. For additional details, please visit our Knowledge Base article.
In the current app, searches rely on a “starts with” query rather than a “contains query.” With the new version of the app, searches are more comprehensive, as the search will return all records which contain the characters input into the search. For example, if a record was called “1. Acme Co.,” simply searching “Acme” will return the correct record in the new mobile app while a user of an older version would have to search for “1. Acme” to get the same result.
Previously on mobile devices, users could only upload one image at a time into an attachment field. Now with the multi-select capability in the Photo Gallery, users can upload multiple photos at once. There is no limit on the number of images that can be selected nor is there a file size limit, but images should be scaled down to a specific size in order to decrease the amount of storage being used. Please also take into consideration the impact on sync times when determining how many photos to include in a form.
Enhanced 3D Model Integration (Available in Upcoming Patch)
Empower field workers to deliver a higher quality of service by arriving to the job-site prepared to do the work, and reduce repeat visits. Youreka can now leverage the newest capabilities by integrating to Threekit directly within Youreka forms. These 3D models can be embedded as part of a procedure or process while completing work on site. In Ohm, the ability to support any of ThreeKit’s environments has been added.
How to Setup the New App
To ensure the smoothest transition for mobile workers we recommend following these steps:
- Upgrade your Salesforce instance to the Ohm Managed Package or higher (Managed Package available for install here).
- When the user is online and has internet access, they should ensure the data is synchronized and then Logout of the current app
- Delete the current app.
- Download the new app from the following locations, depending on which mobile device you are using. The new app has a white background with the Youreka logo.
- Login using the same Salesforce Credentials. For more information about Mobile Authentication, please visit our Knowledge Base article.
- Ready to go - all the users forms and data will be downloaded to the new app, and they can continue working.
**MDM Providers should communicate a timeline for the upgrade to your users, reminding them to ensure to fully sync the mobile app prior to your intended upgrade window.
As part of transitioning to the new app, Deeplinks to the mobile app will need to be updated to a new base URL. The base URL is the only update that needs to be made.
- The old base URL is:
- The new base URL is:
Note: During this transition stage, users may engage with both apps, current and new. For Deeplinks to work properly, the user needs to apply the accurate base URL either current or new. Consider maintaining 2 sets of Deeplinks if you have pilot groups testing the new mobile app in production.
For example, a Deeplink to a mobile card in the current app would be created using the code snippet below:
In the new app, that Deeplink will need to be updated to the following:
Aside from the base URL update, Deeplinks work the same. For additional information on using Deeplinks, please see our Knowledge Base article.
Customizing Button Labels
In the new app, previous functionality of Customizing Button Labels will no longer be supported. Instead, any label in the mobile app can be changed using the new Multi-Language support. For additional details please visit our Knowledge Base article.
Connected AppIf you have previously configured the Youreka Connected App for the current Youreka app to better control access levels, you may need to do the same for the New Mobile app. The New Mobile App will respect the settings for permissions, profiles, IP relaxation, etc.
The following features will not be available in the Pilot Release but will be added in future releases:
- Menu Items not available currently:
- Form-level Photos (photo questions are still supported)
- Search Forms on Server
- Customizing Button Labels
- Instead, there is new functionality with custom labels and leveraging the multi-language support. For additional details, please visit our Knowledge Base article.
- Custom Styling with CSS
- Some CSS-defined custom styling may need to be updated. If you find that your existing CSS is not rendering as expected, please review our CSS repository for updated snippets.
- When creating a new form that has Field Links, only the top 15 lookup records are displayed. In the interim ensure creating all new forms in the browser.
Q: Can I do a slow roll out of the new mobile app?
A: Yes, some groups of users can use the current app, while other groups of users use the new app. Avoid having any one user use both apps. When using Deeplinks, the main consideration is ensuring that groups of users using the current app continue to use the previous Deeplink URL. New app users need to use the new Deeplink URL for any inbound process. If users are Deeplinking between Salesforce Field Service Mobile and Youreka, then the different Deeplink URLs can be managed by Profile per user. All Deeplinks out of Youreka will continue to work the same. Click to read more.
Q: Are forms automatically available on both the current and the new app, or can an admin select which app they want a form to be on?
A: The exact same data and forms will be available to a user in both versions of the mobile app.
Q: If a user starts a form and saves it on one app, and then reopens the form later in the other app, will that saved form be available?
A: After a user's data in the current app syncs back to Salesforce and then they login to the new app, they can continue working on the form right where they left off. Please note an offline user would need to return their device to an online status to initiate the sync to Salesforce. Also, we recommend that a user only has one of the apps on their device at a time, to avoid confusion or data loss.
Q: How will I know which app to select from the app store if there are two different apps?
A: The New app's icon will have a white background and be called “Youreka New,” with the version of 3.0.0 or above.
Q: How long can I continue to use the current mobile app?
A: The current app will be supported until mid-2023. By this time, and to prevent service interruption, customers need to migrate to the new app. There will be upcoming communication about the exact end of life dates.
Q: If I have both the current and the new app on my device, and I open the same form on both, what will happen?
A: We highly recommend logging out and uninstalling the current app before installing and using the new app to avoid any confusion or data loss.